Ashwagandha is an Ayurvedic herb which is also considered a magical herb. This herb is one powerful herb that has restorative properties and can heal the body beautifully. Its scientific name is Withaniasomnifera. It is also known as Indian Ginseng. The other name of this herb is winter cherry. Due to its healing power, it has now become a popular herb in many countries. The roots, seeds and leaves are used for preparing various medicines which are essential for the better functioning of the body.
The roots of this plant are similar to the shape of a carrot. The seeds are small and look like small berries. It has beautiful greenish-yellow flowers on it. The word ‘Ashwagandha’ means ‘smell of a horse’ and smells the same. It has several benefits for our body, skin and hair. Let us discover these benefits so as to heal our body and create restorative effects on it.
1. Refreshes Skin- This magical herb has the power to stimulate and balance the hormones of our body. The antioxidants present in this herb work towards healing the skin and reducing the signs of ageing. This is the reason that it is one of the most important ingredients of skin care products like night creams, under eye creams, anti-ageing creams, etc.
It also prevents dark spots and protects the skin from the harmful rays of the sun. It can also be used at home in the form of a face pack. In order to use it, mix some ashwagandha powder and rose water into a paste. Apply this paste on the face and leave it for 15 minutes. Rinse it off with water.
2. Tones Skin- It can also be used as a skin toner. Use it like a toner to shrink pores and tone skin. This herbal toner can be prepared at home. For this take some ashwagandha powder, lemon peel powder and some water. Boil it and strain the water in a bottle. Use this infused water in place of your regular toner and feel the difference.
3. Removes Dandruff- One of the many benefits of ashwagandha includes dandruff removal from the scalp. It is a natural remedy for scalp infections like eczema, dandruff, hair fall, etc.
4. Reduces Stress- Stress is a common problem these days. Toxic medicines can show harmful side effects on our body. This miraculous herb is a natural remedy for reducing stress. It can heal the mind and bring it to a calm state.
5. Effective in Joint Pain- The anti-inflammatory property of this Ayurvedic herb makes it an important component of joint pain relief medicines. The extracts of ashwagandha are proven useful in reducing joint pain and arthritis.
Other benefits of using ashwagandha are-
1. Controls asthma
2. Treats Insomnia
3. Fights Cancer
4. Cures Anemia
5. Enhances Kidney functioning
6. Improves Brainpower and memory.
Use ashwagandha and heal your body. Remember every medicine whether chemical or herbal should be taken in moderation. It should not be consumed by pregnant women.